The health tech firm has a proven record of developing and delivering innovative solutions for environmental and social intelligence to identify and avert threats, save lives, and impact more than 1000 organizations globally. They developed a non-evasive walkthrough electronic full-body scanner to detect symptoms of COVID-19 and wanted to run their Kubernetes (K8s) clusters at scale while minimizing the effort required to operate the Kubernetes control plane to seamlessly handle millions of requests coming from the Kiosks placed across entry points and gateways in airports, public places, government offices, etc. They wanted to focus on building applications rather than worrying about patching, scaling, and maintaining Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances to host their applications.
The firm faced several challenges in finding a suitable solution for running its K8s clusters at scale.
- A fully managed service that would help them run their K8s clusters at scale while minimizing the effort required to operate the Kubernetes control plane
- A solution that was cost-effective, highly available, and secure
- A solution that could be implemented quickly and smoothly, with minimal disruption to their business operations
The firm needed a solution that ensured speed of operation, scalability, and the ability to modernize and quickly respond to customer demands and changes. They partnered with Digital Alpha to implement a solution using Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (Amazon EKS) to manage the K8s cluster (the control plane) and AWS Fargate to provision and run pod infrastructure (the data plane).
Digital Alpha used AWS Cloud Development Kit (AWS CDK) with cdk8s and cdk8s+ to deploy a sample Kubernetes workload on the Amazon EKS cluster running Kubernetes pods on AWS Fargate.
The solution was designed in a way to overcome the challenges:
- Setting up an Amazon EKS cluster and configuring it to run Kubernetes pods on AWS Fargate
- Using the AWS CDK to deploy a sample Kubernetes workload on the cluster
- Providing ongoing support and maintenance to ensure the smooth operation of the Amazon EKS cluster and related infrastructure
- Providing training and support to the customer’s team to help them become proficient in using Amazon EKS and AWS Fargate
The firm leveraged Digital Alpha’s expertise and successfully deployed its applications using Amazon EKS on AWS Fargate, achieving cost-effective, highly available, and secure operation of their K8s clusters. The fully managed service provided by Amazon EKS and AWS Fargate allowed the customer to focus on building applications rather than worrying about patching, scaling, and maintaining Amazon EC2 instances.
Some of the key benefits the customer experienced as a result of this partnership included:
- A fully managed service that helped them run their K8s clusters at scale while minimizing the effort required to operate the Kubernetes control plane
- Cost-effective, highly available, and secure operation of their K8s clusters
- A smooth and seamless implementation process, with minimal disruption to their business operations